Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pecan-Stuffed Mushrooms


Nice little hors d'oeuvre that are very easy to make. This recipe is from the Ladies' Home Journal Cookbook, edited by Carol Truax, published in 1960. The cover does not photograph well.

1 pound medium mushrooms
1 cup chopped pecans
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1/4 cup soft butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream

For chopped pecans, unless you want to chop them yourself, look in the baking section of the grocery store, near the chocolate chips. I used "pecan chips" which came in 1/2 cup bags.
Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth. I personally chose to wash mine, even though the book says they shouldn't be washed unless very dirty.
Remove caps and arrange in shallow baking dish with hollow side up.
Chop the stems and mix with pecans, parsley, butter, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Mix well and heap into the mushroom caps. Press down firmly. Pour cream over the mushrooms. Cover and bake in moderate oven, 350F, for 30-45 minutes until tender. 30 minutes was perfect for me.
Baste once or twice with the cream in the dish. Add a little more cream if necessary. Six servings.
Let the mushrooms sit for a few minutes before serving, as they tend to fall apart easily, but less so when they've cooled. Also, you might want to sprinkle a tiny bit more salt on top.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, they look AMAZING. You have to make me these when I next visit, okay? (I may say that a lot in comments to your entries, hehe.)

    PS, This entry didn't show up on my Dashboard page. I only saw it because I actually went to your blog. Weird.

    ReplyDelete