Friday, May 20, 2011

Blueberry Jam


The current Cookbook Challenge theme is Blue. I'm absolutely obsessed with blueberries, so of course I chose a blueberry recipe. They're not quite in season yet (I think that happens next month) so fresh blueberries are really expensive right now, so I found this recipe that works well with fresh or frozen berries. It's from the July 2004 issue of Cooking Light (yes, magazines are allowed in the Cookbook Challenge!), which I recently got at a library that seemed to be getting rid of all of their old issues of the magazine. How could I not take home this issue with a cover photo like this one?

The recipe is originally from the Wildflower Inn in Searsport, Maine.

Note: This jam is stored in the refrigerator, so you don't need to can it!

5 cups fresh or frozen, thawed, blueberries
5 1/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 (6-ounce) package liquid fruit pectin (such as CERTO)
Place the blueberries in a large saucepan, and crush with a potato masher.
Add sugar, juices, and salt; stir well to combine.
Let blueberry mixture stand for 30 minutes.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add pectin, stirring until well-blended.
Pour jam into jars or air-tight containers.

Cool completely; cover and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks. Yield: 7 cups.
 My jam didn't thicken very well, so I guess I did something wrong, but I'm not sure what. It's really good, though, and I especially enjoyed whipping it together with some mascarpone cheese and filling crepes with the mixture. I plan to make some lemon ice cream soon, and I think it will make a very good topping!

1 comment:

  1. love the sound of the orange juice in this jam - and the blueberries of course - they are out of season here and we are missing them otherwise I might have made something with them for the challenge

    ReplyDelete